Tuesday, March 5, 2013

iOS | How to Use "FIND" to search a Webpage on Mobile Safari

If you've used Safari web browser, then you know that it is simple to search the page you are on for a specific word or string of words.

On a MAC, just use the keyboard key-stroke - "CMD + F"
On Windows, use "CTRL + F"

The little finder pops up in the top right corner.  You type a word in and hit enter and it will tell you how many times it is on the page and takes you right to it.

This is very handy when a webpage is very long.  Such as race results where there could be thousands of lines of text.

But what about on the iPhone?  This could be handy on there as well but you've never been able to figure it out.

Well this very thing happened to me the other day.  I needed the "Find" function on my iPhone.  So I began scouring the internet for the answer.

In the example below, I have a webpage with a 10K race results.  There are 495 participants.  But I don't want to search the entire list one row at a time.

1. In the search bar at the top right, type the word you're looking for.


2. For this example, I typed "Roseberry"
The first list of search results you will see are google's attempts to guess what I want.
However, if you scroll to the bottom, you will see written, "On This Page (1 match)"
Then under that, "Find 'roseberry' "


3. When you click on the result at the bottom you are taken directly to the point on the webpage where this name is located.  Highlighted in Yellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment